- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 176, 211, 228
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 600' (180m), 1200' (360m), 2400' (720m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Suitable for Music Recording, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s, 1980s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
The Scotch 176, 211, and 228 were SP (Standard Play) tapes that shared the same formula, but were sold to different markets. This is a Low Noise (Type 2) formula that replaced the older Dynarange Series. Experience with this formulation shows that the quality is high for a low noise tape, and the formula is especially suited for 3-3/4 ips.
- These are formulas that have withstood the test of time, without sticky shed or excess oxide shedding. There are some reports on the forums with oxide shedding, but we have not experienced this in the hundreds of reels we have inspected. It could be isolated to specific production runs, or exacerbated due to poor long-term storage conditions (hot attic or wet basements).
- The 176 was labeled as “Pro Pack” for commercial and professional applications, and came with a plain box with no attached leader tapes. The 211 was sold as Dynarange Low Noise in a high quality package, either a black clamshell plastic box or a high quality cardboard box. The 211 also had attached leader tapes and came in a plastic bag. The 228 was sold as the budget “Highlander” series without leaders, in a low cost package.
- The general quality of these tapes increased over their production run as general improvements were made, particularly with the surface polish and smoothness.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of Scotch 176, 211 or 228 – and the type available will be limited to the versions we have on hand. We stand behind this formula with refurbished guarantee.