- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 177, 212, 229
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 900' (275m), 1650' (500m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s, 1980s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
The Scotch 177, 212, and 229 were LP (Long Play) tapes that shared the same formula, but were sold to different markets. This is a Low Noise (Type 2) formula that replaced the older Dynarange Series. Experience with this formulation shows that the quality is high for a low noise tape, and the formula is especially suited for 3-3/4 ips. It was also used for many commercially produced tapes in the 1970s, particularly for many of the famous Barclay-Crocker recordings.
- These are formulas that have withstood the test of time, without sticky shed or excess oxide shedding. There are some reports on the forums with oxide shedding, but we have not experienced this in the hundreds of reels we have inspected. It could be isolated to specific production runs, or exacerbated due to poor long-term storage conditions (hot attic or wet basements).
- The 177 was labeled as “Pro Pack” for commercial and professional applications, and came with a plain box with no attached leader tapes. The 212 was sold as Dynarange Low Noise in a high quality package, either a plastic box or a high quality cardboard box. The 212 also had attached leader tapes and came in a plastic bag. The 229 was sold as the budget “Highlander” series without leaders, in a low cost package.
- The general quality of these tapes increased over their production run as general improvements were made, particularly with the surface polish and smoothness.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of Scotch 177, 212 or 229 – and the type available will be limited to the versions we have on hand. We stand behind this formula with refurbished guarantee.