- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 203
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 900' (275m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1960s - Early 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
In 1964 Scotch released the first “Low Noise” tape called Dynarange, with formulas 201, 202 and 203 (Standard Play Acetate, Standard Play Mylar and Long Play Mylar respectively). This “Type 2” tape offered a better frequency response with a more polished “Superlife” coating and a noise level 4-6 dB lower than the standard tapes. At the time it was promoted to give the same performance at 3-3/4 ips as the standard tapes at 7-1/2 ips, a claim many tapes have made since, but never really reached.
The Dynarange was an excellent tape and when production was ramping up Scotch sourced quite a bit of tape from their Italian plant which was sold worldwide, including in the United States, where they produced the 203 (and the rare Double Play 204 which was never made in the USA) as well as the related 215 / 220. Notes:
- These are formulas that have withstood the test of time, without sticky shed or excess oxide shedding. It is highly recommended for those using machines made in the 1960s or early 1970s.
- There were two versions of this Dynarange – One made in the USA and provided in a low cost folded paper box and a higher quality version made in Italy with affixed leaders and a plastic case sourced from the same supplier as BASF. You can tell these because the reel is slightly different and there is no “Made in USA” located anywhere on the packaging or reel.
- The general quality of these tapes is very high, and they are highly recommended for use with older machines which were often biased for it. Our tests have shown a very stable and extended frequency response.
- Scotch 202/203/204 tapes, regardless of where they are made, exhibit much lower oxide shedding than other tapes made at the time.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of Scotch 203 – and the type available will be limited to the versions we have on hand, as the US and Italian versions are sold under separate item numbers. We stand behind this formula with refurbished guarantee.