- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 206
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 600' (180m), 1200' (360m), 2400' (720m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 3-Low Noise / High Output
- Base Material: Polyester Backcoated
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Suitable for Master Recording, Suitable for Music Recording, Good for 7-1/2 ips and 15 ips
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Late 1960s, Early 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Scotch 206 is a classic master tape formulation introduced in 1969 and was highly regarded in the early 1970s. It is classified as a type 3 – Low Noise, High Output tape. The 206 is the Standard Play (SP) version used for mastering. Many of the world’s most famous recordings from the early 1970s were made on Scotch 206 and many classic machines were calibrated to this tape. This is one of the rare back-coated tapes that has held up well and can be used today.
- Performance is high, especially at 7-1/2 and 15 ips.
- There are some reports of edge oxide shedding with examples that have not been stored properly.
- Unlike other back-coated tapes from the 1970s and 1980s, this one is not subject to sticky shed.
- Tapes of this vintage have a tendency to shed slightly more oxide more than most modern tapes. This is not a sign that this tape is degrading, it should be considered normal.
- The general quality of these tapes is very high.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, we sell the 206 as refurbished.