- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 209
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 900' (275m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester Backcoated
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Suitable for Master Recording, Suitable for Music Recording
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Late 1960s, Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Scotch 209 is the low print version of is a classic 206/207 master tape formulation introduced in 1969 and was highly regarded in the early 1970s. It is classified as a type 2 – Low Noise, as it has a 3 dB lower output than the 207 to get the low print through properties. The 209 is the Long Play (LP) version. This is one of the rare back-coated tapes that has held up well and can be used today.
- Performance is high, especially at 7-1/2 and 15 ips.
- There are some reports of edge oxide shedding with examples that have not been stored properly.
- Unlike other back-coated tapes from the 1970s and 1980s, this one is not subject to sticky shed.
- Tapes of this vintage have a tendency to shed slightly more oxide more than most modern tapes. This is not a sign that this tape is degrading, it should be considered normal.
- The general quality of these tapes is very high.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, we sell the 209 as refurbished, and it is highly recommended.