- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 207
- Reel: 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 1200' (360m), 2500' (750m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 4-High Ouput / High Bias +3
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Sticky Shed - Must be Baked Before Transfer
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Scotch 250 is another classic master tape formulation introduced in 1972 and was also highly regarded in the early 1970s. It was only available in SP form. It is classified as a type 4 (+3) tape. Many of the world’s most famous recordings from the early 1970s were made on Scotch 250 and many classic machines were calibrated to this tape. The tape has a light brown oxide with back coating, and was introduced as a competitor to the Ampex 356/357 (later 456/457). Only the early production seems to have escaped the dreaded sticky shed syndrome.
- Performance is high, especially at 7-1/2 and 15 ips.
- Unlike other back-coated tapes from the 1970s and 1980s, early production is not subject to sticky shed. However, there are reports that many gave experienced sticky shed with this formulation.
- Shedding, like many other Scotch tapes of this vintage, is very low.
- The general quality of these tapes is very high.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, we sell the 250 as refurbished after we have checked them.