- Brand: Tdk
- Type: S Series
- Reel: 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: Japan
- Mfg Years: Late 1960s, Early 1970s, 1980s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
TDK’s S Series reel to reel tape is an older style brown oxide low noise tape, classified here as type 2, with a lower bias requirement than the SD Series or the AUDIA. It’s important to know they do not have the performance or quality you would expect of the SD and later AUDIA tapes, so don’t pay too much extra for them. Also, the leader tape adhesive normally fails by now, so you might need to reattach it.
- This is a formula that has withstood the test of time. The S Series tapes still hold their quality and can be used today.
- All used a single thread clear plastic reel. Tape has a shiny brown surface.
- Like the SDs, The 1200 ft (360m) version on 7″ tape reels have reels with larger hubs using the same LP tape thickness of the 1800 ft (550m) version. To our knowledge, they never produced an SP or DP tape so it’s LP only.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of the S-Series in our store, but they are not common so we don’t get a lot of them.