- Brand: Agfa
- Type: PE31, PE41, PE65
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 5-3/4" (15cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 900' (275m), 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil), DP (0.5 -0.75 mil), TP (0.5 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 1-Standard
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use
- Where Produced: Germany
- Mfg Years: Early 1960s - Early 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
AGFA’s PE31 (Long Play), PE41 (Double Play) and PE 65 (Triple Play) were high quality tapes made in Germany that were not generally available in the United States. A counterpart to the BASF LH Series, it had slightly better performance. These are rated as a type 1 (standard) formulation. These tapes are known for their quality, longevity, output stability and excellent tape to head contact. These are particularly good with older machines made in the 1970s. In Germany, most users recorded with these tapes at 3-3/4ips where they gave extended frequency response.
- This is a formula that has withstood the test of time. It is amazing to consider that you can make a high quality recordings on a 40 or 50 year old tape, but this is indeed possible.
- The PE 41 is a good DP (Double Play) tape, and like the BASF tapes, offered a slightly thinner oxide coating than the PE 31 LP version.
- The PE 65 is a good TP (triple play) tape, but hard to find.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of PE31, PE41 and PE 65 in our store, many of them directly imported from Germany, and we offer them in 5″, 5-3/4″, and 7″ reels.