- Brand: Agfa
- Type: PE36, PE46. PE66
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 5-3/4" (15cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 900' (275m), 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 3-Low Noise / High Output
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use
- Where Produced: Germany
- Mfg Years: Late 1960s, Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
AGFA’s PE39 (Long Play) and PE49 (Double Play) were high quality tapes made in Germany that were not generally available in the United States. These were high output consumer tapes, replacing the PE 36 and 46, and were not back-coated. These are rated as a type 3 (low noise/high output) formulation and were roughly equivalent to BASF LH Super or Ferro LH (minis the squealing or oxide shedding issues). These tapes are known for their quality, longevity, output stability and excellent tape to head contact.
- This is a formula that has withstood the test of time. It is amazing to consider that you can make a high quality recordings on a 40 or 50 year old tape, but this is indeed possible.
- AGFA Tapes of this vintage shed less than others due the high quality of the binder.
- The PE 49 is the excellent DP (Double Play) tape, and like the BASF tapes, offered a slightly thinner oxide coating than the PE 39 LP version.
- These tapes came with a solid black two window reel and a high quality plastic clamshell box.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of PE39 and PE49.