- Brand: Agfa
- Type: PEM 368, PEM 268
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 5-3/4" (15cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 2400' (720m), 4800' (1640m)
- Thickness: LP (1.0 mil), DP (0.5 -0.75 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 4-High Ouput / High Bias +3
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: Germany
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
AGFA’s PEM 368 (Long Play) and PEM 268 (Double Play) were extremely high quality type 4 (low noise / high output +3) tapes made in Germany that were not generally available in the United States. A counterpart to the BASF LPR / DPR tapes, these were back-coated and known for their superior performance. Like other Agfa tapes, these are known for their quality, longevity, output stability and excellent tape to head contact – and particularly their excellent winding properties for this formulation. They are highly recommended.
- This is a formula that has withstood the test of time. It is amazing to consider that you can make a high quality recordings on a 40 or 50 year old tape, but this is indeed possible.
- AGFA Tapes of this vintage shed less than others due the high quality of the binder.
- The PEM 368 is the high quality LP (long play) version.
- The PEM 268 might be one of the very best DP (Double Play) tapes ever made, and like the BASF tapes, offered a slightly thinner oxide coating than the LP version as a tradeoff for superior strength. Like the BASF DPR tapes, the PEM 268s are 2100 ft. in length for a 7″ reel.
- These tapes came in two series, one with a gray three window reel and the newer series with a solid black two window reel. Both were supplied with high quality plastic clamshell boxes.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of PEM 368 and PEM 268 in our store, many of them directly imported from Germany.