- Brand: Memorex
- Type: Low Noise, High Output
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 600' (180m), 900' (275m), 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 2400' (720m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil), LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 3-Low Noise / High Output
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Memorex was a popular US tape manufacturer in the 1970s, promoting their line of low noise, high output reel to reel tapes (type 3) at the same price level as their competitor’s low noise (type 2) formulations. When they were popular, their tapes were shipped in a black clam-shell box. At the time, their tapes were considered to be high quality. They never produced tapes with back coating, and to our knowledge all of their formulations are usable today and do not suffer from sticky shed or LBL. Our experience certifying these tapes confirm this. The information above pertains to the entire line.
Although we have seen a number of different formulations and reel designs through their production run, the tapes themselves were not designated by product line or a formula type. As a result, we have elected to identify them by reel type, either single window (earlier formulation) and triple window (later formulation). The ATR Series Tapes appear to perform the same as their other tapes.
- These are formulas that have withstood the test of time, without sticky shed or excess oxide shedding.
- These tapes were all sold under the “Low Noise, High Output” classification, with a bias requirement similar to the Scotch Dynarange at the time (211/212)
- The general quality of these tapes increased over their production run as general improvements were made, particularly with oxide shedding and smoothness.
- The SP, LP and DP thicknesses all used the same oxide coating, so performance should be identical between the lengths.
- The single window and the three small window small tapes are the earlier generation tapes, with a polished grey surface. These give excellent performance
- Some later large 3-window tapes have a brown(er) oxide coating, these tapes also give excellent performance, especially at 3-3/4 ips.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of Memorex in our store – we sell Memorex tapes with the high quality clamshell boxes exclusively.