- Brand: Memorex
- Type: Low Noise
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 600' (180m), 900' (275m), 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 2400' (720m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil), LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester
- 2023 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Good for all speeds
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Memorex was a popular US tape manufacturer in the 1970s, promoting their line of low noise, high output reel to reel tapes (type 3) at the same price level as their competitor’s low noise (type 2) formulations. At the time, their tapes were considered to be high quality. They never produced tapes with back coating, and to our knowledge all of their formulations are usable today and do not suffer from sticky shed or LBL. Our experience certifying these tapes confirm this. The information above pertains to the entire line.
Although we have seen a number of different formulations and reel designs through their production run, the tapes themselves were not designated by product line or a formula type. The tapes here are early Low Noise formulations with the classic 6 window reel and a gray paper box.
- These are formulas that have withstood the test of time, without sticky shed or excess oxide shedding.
- The general quality of these tapes was high, with low oxide shedding and smoothness.
- The SP, LP and DP thicknesses all used the same oxide coasting, so performance should be identical between the lengths.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, you can buy refurbished reels of Memorex in our store – these are rare Low Noise tapes.