- Brand: Scotch-3m
- Type: 208
- Reel: 5" (13cm), 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 600' (180m), 1200' (360m), 2400' (720m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 2-Low Noise
- Base Material: Polyester Backcoated
- 2020 Advice: Good for Daily Use, Suitable for Master Recording, Suitable for Music Recording, Good for 7-1/2 ips and 15 ips
- Where Produced: USA
- Mfg Years: Early 1970s, Late 1970s, 1980s
- Sale Condition: Refurbished - 90 day warranty
Scotch 208 is the low print version of is a classic 206/207 master tape formulation introduced in 1969 and was highly regarded in the early 1970s. It is classified as a type 2 – Low Noise, as it has a 3 dB lower output than the 206 to get the low print through properties. The 208 is the Standard Play (SP) version used for mastering. This is one of the rare back-coated tapes that has held up well and can be used today.
- Performance is high, especially at 7-1/2 and 15 ips.
- There are some reports of edge oxide shedding with examples that have not been stored properly.
- Unlike other back-coated tapes from the 1970s and 1980s, this one is not subject to sticky shed.
- Tapes of this vintage have a tendency to shed slightly more oxide more than most modern tapes. This is not a sign that this tape is degrading, it should be considered normal.
- The general quality of these tapes is very high.
- Available Refurbished: Yes, we sell the 208 as refurbished, and it is highly recommended.