- Brand: Tdk
- Type: GXSeries
- Reel: 7" (18cm), 10.5" (26.5cm)
- Lengths Available: 1200' (360m), 1800' (550m), 2400' (720m), 3600' (1100m)
- Thickness: SP (1.5 mil), LP (1.0 mil)
- Tape Grade / Performance Level: 4-High Ouput / High Bias +3
- Base Material: Polyester Backcoated
- 2020 Advice: Sticky Shed - Must be Baked Before Transfer, White Powder Syndrome - Needs Cleaning before Playing, Unstable - Transfer ASAP
- Where Produced: Japan
- Mfg Years: 1980s
- Sale Condition: Won't sell as used
TDK’s GX Series was a new top of the like tape released in the early 1980s to compete with Maxell’s UDXL / XL-I Series. It is a back coated tape, and has a highly polished brown oxide surface, slightly lighter than Maxell’s, and in full contrast to their SD, AUDIA and LX tapes that were dark gray – almost black – in color. This was a high quality type 4 (+3 low noise / high output) tape. Unfortunately this tape suffers from BOTH white powder syndrome and sticky shed, and makes restoration quite difficult, especially if there was also water damage to the tape. They can be baked but them must be cleaned before playing, as the white powder builds up on the heads fast.
- These tapes came with a unique high quality 3-piece and 3 window gray plastic reel. The reels are worth saving!
- This tape was only available in LP and SP, although the SPs are rare. They tried to position the SP GXs against other professional studio tapes like Ampex’s 456, but never really made any headway in the commercial market.
- Available Refurbished: We go not offer GXs for sale, as they can no longer be used.